Thursday, June 13, 2013

kind of a big deal.

You want a novel?? Read this.

Our anniversary (or anniversary weekend) usually falls on Memorial Day weekend, and since we like to go camping with family that weekend, we typically don't celebrate (very much) on our actual anniversary date. Last year marked our 5 year anniversary and we really wanted to do something "more" special than our normal celebration...but, we'd just had a baby and Jeff was still in school--so our dreams of a romantic getaway were snuffed.

This year we were determined.

And we did it.
We went away for the weekend, just the two of us, with no children to divert our attention.
Where did we go??
UTAH.

I don't know about most people, but I have this strange feeling that we're being judged, and that most people wouldn't have chosen to visit Utah for their anniversary trip.
BUT LET ME TELL YOU--IT.WAS.GLORIOUS.
{perfect and dreamy}
{romantic and sweet}
{adventurous, carefree, and amazing}

PLUS we got to visit my family, and didn't have to pay for a hotel or for a rental car!
We also decided to fly, which made it the first time with each other (and also left us more time to do what we wanted for the weekend!) We flew through Allegiant and left Friday morning, and came home Monday afternoon, which let us enjoy a perfect amount of time away.
My only negative to the weekend was that I forgot to bring my camera...but just when I was going to freak out, I remembered we'd brought the ipod, and so thankfully I was still able to document the weekend in some way...albeit, not very high quality, haha!
And so, without further ado, I present to you...
Our 6-year-anniversary excursion ♥  

We had to be at the airport pretty early--7 o'clock early--and so we'd already been up for a few hours when we took this picture. We were tired, but SUPER excited!

With Allegiant it costs extra to pick your own seat, so instead of paying, we were assigned seats. That left us across the isle and up a row from each other, which I figured wouldn't be so bad since it was only an hour long flight, and I had my National Geographic magazine to read. Thankfully I sat next to a very kind woman who asked if I was with someone and then offered to switch seats with Jeff since she was by herself!

I don't have any pictures from later that same day, but after my grandparents picked us up from the airport, and we dropped our luggage off at her house (not 5 minutes away) we left in my grandpa's truck and headed to LAGOON!! And while we had so much fun, we wore out really fast...no joke, we only lasted 4 hours. It's almost ridiculous because we wanted to stay until they closed at 11pm--ha!
We're getting old.

(and I lied, I found a picture from Lagoon! The last picture, we're holding a Minion that Jeff won in one of the carnival games! The boys love it.)
So anyway, we were home from Lagoon around 4:30, took a 4 hour nap, woke up and left again to eat dinner at the Burger Bar (featured on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives) and then went to see a movie at 10pm (The Great Gatsby, which was not-so-good, story-wise). We didn't get home until after midnight, which seems insignificant, but really, we haven't done that since before we had kids...

SATURDAY was the BEST DAY.
After sleeping in, we got ready and headed over to the Park family reunion (my grandma's side of the family.) I hadn't been to one in probably a decade, and it was fun to see everyone again.





We only stayed for a few hours and then left to explore Salt Lake's Temple Square the rest of the day...and I mean, the rest of the day--seven hours!
And I loved every second...







I couldn't get over all the spring-y summer-ness...
...you know, because they actually have a separate spring and summer, and things still flourish??







When dinnertime finally rolled around we ate at the Garden Restaurant on the 10th floor of the Joseph Smith History building. We were famished from walking around the City Creek mall, and all through Temple Square, so my Fettuccine Alfredo (with homemade pasta, fresh mushrooms, tomatoes, proscuitto, and basil) was DIVINE. Let's not even talk about our appetizer of tempura-fried pickle spears...
...my mouth is watering just thinking about it...
Mmmmm... 
Jeff got a french-style pork chop with mashed potatoes and a cherry reduction sauce, which he LOVED, but I thought mine was better☺
(Sorry, no pictures! We were famished, remember??)
We thought about getting dessert there, and it was super tempting (think creme brulee and chocolate molten cake...) but we had other plans in mind...


Before dessert though, which required us to leave Temple Square, I wanted to see the Temple lights turn on...so we had to wait a little while longer, and walk around some more, which we didn't mind...





When we passed the Tabernacle on our way out we heard someone playing inside. When we finally found the entrance door, we realized it was a gentleman who was just practicing random pieces of music. It wasn't even church music, but he played so well and it was so beautiful, that we stayed a while and listened to him while sitting in the old pews.

...and by the time we left the Tabernacle, the lights to the Temple had turned on! 
(This is around 9pm...Daylight Savings Time drives me nuts and throws me off!)

...which meant we could leave and head over to Bruges Waffles and Frites for dessert!!
I have missed multiple opportunities to visit this place and I am devastated. And although these were the most expensive waffles I have ever paid for, they were sooo worth it...you know, as a once-in-a-while type of splurge ;)



And yes, we got the Torpedo, which is a Belgium waffle stuffed with dark chocolate and then topped with creme fraiche...the other one had raspberries and creme fraiche, but obviously, the chocolate won times a MILLION.

It was the perfect way to end our day.

Sunday was spent with family: church with Grandma and Grandpa (and a few cousins), and dinner with everyone else ☺  


Monday morning went by quickly as we had to leave for our flight at 10:30am. 
Meg and Grandma made pikelets for breakfast (my favorite)!


Meg and I played California Speed...
...and then Jeff and I said our goodbyes and we headed back to Arizona.
We had to sit separately, but he sat right in front of me this time...
...I kept myself busy though, haha!

We landed safely, all was well, and the kids were happy to see us (Logan wanted Daddy and Wyatt wanted Mommy, so it worked out, haha!)

Now it's time to get back to real life, but I wouldn't want it any other way.
Thanks again to all those who helped us make this weekend possible, to my parents and siblings, but especially thanks to Jeff's parent's who had our boys the majority of the weekend, and to my grandparents who let us stay in their home and borrow their truck. We love you all and are so thankful for your selfless generosity.
We had an amazing weekend!!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

how amazing!!! Jace and i are going on 4 years this october...
and we never do anything SUPER special. We go up to my ranch for a 3 day weekend normally. and considering we dont have kids i feel like we should do something MORE. maybe for our 5th :)

so glad you had fun!! Utah can be super beautiful, so definitly no judgement here!! PS you look beautiful ALL.THE.TIME. how do you do it?!?

Noelle @ Mesa AZ Photography said...

That is so awesome that you packed so much into your weekend. I think it's hilarious that without kids you only lasted 4 hours at the park (Eric would be like that for sure).

Happy Anniversary!