Thursday, June 4, 2009

wANt FoOd...

So I'm at home, sitting on the couch, when my stomach starts yelling at me...oh, right, I should probably eat. Someone is hungry. So I mosey on over to the kitchen to wrangle me some lunch...and I'm thinking about what we might have in the pantry...or the freezer...or the fridge...and then I remember that my lovely husband bought me some Spaghetti-O's the night before!!!! Sah-weet! I know that some people may not be so fond of this delicacy, but it has sentimental value for me. (Plus I'm pregnant so I have weird cravings...okay??)

SIDE NOTE: I'm pretty sure everyone's mom made them some kind of special lunch or treat growing up...something that not everyone else was familiar with, whether that was peanut butter sandwiches with bananas or, in my case, Spaghetti-O's with buttered toast)

ANYWAY, I'm SO excited to have my Spaghetti-O's and toast! I whip out 2 pieces of bread, the toaster, butter, a plate for my toast, a bowl for my Spaghetti-O's, utensils, and finally THE CAN. I have it all set out and ready to go...the first step is to open THE CAN. So I rummage around looking for our can opener, because unfortunately THE CAN doesn't come with that convenient little tab you can just pull up and ::VOILA:: it's open. No. THE CAN has to be difficult. So I'm looking for our dang can opener when I remember that it was a piece of crap. And because my lovely husband doesn't have any tolerance for unuseful tools, he threw it out. As in the garbage. As in I no longer have a way to open THE CAN. Cringe...my stomach growls. I WANT MY SPAGHTTI-O'S AND TOAST! That's what I want, that's what I have out, and so that's what I'm eating.

Being the ingenious, starving, pregnant lady I am, I resorted back to my caveman roots and opened THE CAN my way.

Tools: A hammer, a nail, and some wire cutters.




Thank you. Thank you very much. It tasted fantastic. And no, I did not get any shrapnel in my Spaghetti-O's.

Unfortunately though, later that night when my dad came over I was severely mocked when I related my caveman experience. My dad picked up the pocket knife from off my kitchen table and so kindly explained the use of a can opener.
Great.

5 comments:

Merkley Jiating said...

Oh my gosh! You must have been HUNGRY! I am actually impressed that you did that without cutting yourself!

danielle said...

I love you. Favorite.

Lauren said...

Rachael...you kill me! I love you! haha!

Matt said...

Hilarious!

Susan said...

That is some good can opening skills. I am so LOL right now. Still. :) YOu make such a good girl scout.