Sunday, November 20, 2011

Owie

Somehow Wyatt has managed to keep himself free from physical injury these past 2 years.. Sure, there's been a few bruised foreheads, and a couple scraped knees, but who wouldn't get those when you're first trying to learn to walk??? We haven't had to deal with any blood-curdling screams, no seriously bleeding wounds, no uncontrollable crying (knock on wood...)

This kid cracks me up...
A few days ago while I was making breakfast on the stove, Wyatt (who likes to watch and so he stands next to me on a stool) started saying, "Ow! Ow! Hot! Hot!" and then would kiss his fingers. Because I'd been watching the stove the entire time and he wasn't close enough to even get a real feel of the hotplate, I said, "Wyatt, you're fine. You didn't touch the stove, but yes, it is hot." He kept whining though, and I thought it was just because he was impatient to actually eat.

WELL, as we're sitting down eating breakfast, he kept repeating "Ow, ow, ow!" and wanted me to kiss his fingers better. At this point I thought he was crazy, so I grabbed his fingers and started looking at them one by one...of COURSE I didn't see anything at first, but then when I went to kiss them to make him "feel better" I noticed one of his fingers was red. I started to freak out, racking my brain to figure out when he could have possibly touched the stove, and getting after myself for not believing him...

...as it turns out though, upon further investigation I noticed it wasn't a burn at all, but a big, fat splinter...waaaaay deep into his finger. 
GREAT. Even better.

So although it wasn't major, Wyatt got to experience his first true owie, alcohol, bandaid and all... and I got to hold him in a vice grip while I tried to extract the sucker with a pin and tweezers.


1 comment:

Merkley Jiating said...

That sounds really painful. Although I am glad he didn't burn himself!