Monday, July 15, 2013

Wyatt's Words, third edition

Wyatt sometimes has a hard time going to sleep when it's time for bed. He has a whole hat full of tricks to get him out of bed, even if it's just for a few minutes. Tonight, after already getting out of bed to go potty, and ANOTHER time to get a drink, I found him outside my door again, and this is what happened:
W: Mommy, will you tell me a story?
Me: If I tell you a story, you have to stay in bed and go to sleep...
W: Okay! Will you tell me the Papa Bear story?? (referencing Goldilocks)
Me: Yes, I'll tell you the Papa Bear story...
...I recite the story of Goldilocks and the three bears...
Me: Okay, time for bed...
W: No, mommy, no! Will you tell me the story about Jesus Christ??
Me: (how can I say no to that?!) Okay, fine, one more story and THEN it's time for bed...
...there's a lot of stories about Jesus...
W: Jesus Christ??
Me: Yes, Jesus Christ...(I told the story of when Jesus called the children to him, "for such is the kingdom of God.")
Me: OKAY. Time for bed.
W: I want another story about Jesus Christ...
Me: ...

I was on the computer looking at pictures I'd taken from our recent camping trip, when Wyatt walked in...
W: Hello Mommy. How are you doing? Are you being good?
Me: (taken by surprise by his questioning, I stayed silent and processed the questions...)
W: Are you being good? (his eyes widened and looked seriously into mine)
Me: ...yes...
W: Good. Did you text Daddy?
Me: Huh?? Haha!

One morning I caught Wyatt eyeing some candy I had recently purchased. When he realized I saw what he was looking at, he used his 3-year-old logic and said:
W: Those are gross. They're not for you, you don't like them.
Me: What?
W: M&M's.
Me: I can't have M&M's?
W: No. Candy is not for you.
Me. So you get candy?
W: Yes. I  like them.
Me: ...

Wyatt has picked up this habit to get himself in less trouble. Whenever he does something he knows I don't like, or when he accidentally makes a mess or is acting like a crazy person, this is what happens:
Me: (as I come upon his destruction) Wyatt!!
W: (immediately) It's okay Momma, it's okay! See?? (and starts to correct whatever is askew)

Wyatt has also started calling me "Sweetheart" when he's trying to be nice, or especially when he wants something. AND I LOVE IT.

This morning, Wyatt was pretending to be a doctor and when he actually found an "owie" on my heel (and old cut that was healing, but still had a scab) he was so excited. I was on the move (getting dressed and sorting laundry) and wasn't really paying attention until I realized he sounded like me...
W: (Down on the ground with a little lid and one of his little cooking utentils pretending to stir some kind of concoction) Hey, there's an owie right there!! I'm going to fix it...
Me: Oh? Hmmm...
W: Mommy, don't move!! Don't move Mommy! Stay still! Now I'm gonna clean it to make it better (applies some of the pretend concoction) It doesn't hurt, okay?? Shhhh, it's okay... (applies more of the concoction) Don't move!
Me: Okay...
W: Where are the bandaids?
Me: Oh, I don't think it needs--
W: Here they are!! (pulls out a pretend box of bandaids and pretends to apply one to my heel) ::Psht:: It's all better mommy!
Me: Thanks!

(Reading Dr. Seuss in a very serious fashion...)

1 comment:

Andrea said...

He's so stinking adorable!!