Friday, September 5, 2014

LA weekend!

We are now returning to the previously scheduled program, that is, My Summer Vacation.

After coming home from Sedona on Tuesday I had exactly two days to prepare to leave for my weekend in LA to visit my one and only Danielle! She FINALLY made it back out to the west coast after being on the east coast in Rhode Island for countless years (it honestly just felt like an eternity). My visit was ridiculously overdue, since I hadn't visited her since my trip to RI three years ago. I had of course seen her during that time, but only for a few hours at a time when she was able to make it to Arizona for different things. I flew in by myself (while Jeff became Mr. Mom for the weekend) and had three glorious California days with her.

We did all the things I love most because we are the same person...
...as soon as I got into LA on Friday morning we headed out to the LACMA and La Brea tar pits.

(And why she can never make a sane face with me, I'll never know...)


I'll go ahead and apologize beforehand for the poor quality of the pictures, but the LACMA (Los Angeles County Museum of Art) was a really amazing place...except for the Picasso. I don't get it.






Most of the time she and her Robert (I say 'her Robert' on purpose) would make meals for us (the most impressionable were her tomato and watermelon salad, and the cheesy grits with a fried egg...my mouth is watering just thinking about it...) but we did venture out for a few meals, which was fun too...
(waffels, Italian food, tacos, fish 'n chips...)

They also let me SLEEP IN!

And on a random note, we played models in this store window while we tested out the bed...and then we went and saw a movie just up the stairs! I honestly can't remember what it was though...oops!

The rest of time I was there, we traveled around a lot, sight-seeing, talking, and relaxing. We drove through Topanga Canyon and stopped at a few shops (one of which was a lonely old man's trailer and I thought we might be murdered...) we also drove by some expensive ocean front properties in Malibu and stopped in Long Beach for some shopping.

My favorite part though was the beach. Always the beach.

I can't remember what this place was called, but we visited for the tide pool. It's also where I dropped my real camera in the water and killed it. Oh, and don't worry, that was after it made the trek across the inlet of water where it was tossed 15 feet in a backpack, no problem. No, I just had to have butterfingers at the very worst moment and drop in it a few inches of tide pool water to kill it...argh.
Oh yeah, and one of my shoes broke too. Perfect for the very sharp surface of the tide pools...you know, barnacles and all that...

AGAIN, Danielle! THE FACE! You kill me.





Here we are, about to cross over this little inlet (I'm not sure what it's really called, but there was a gap between the rocks and the waves would flow in and out and we had to cross it to get to the tide pools...) Anyway, guess who had to go first?? (Here's a clue, it wasn't her!)


The tide pools were stunning, crawling with hermit crabs, purple sea urchin, and anemone.



And then my camera died. No more pictures of that.

But we did visit the beach another day and I had my ipod with me... 

...so I took a few pictures...



...and then before I was ready to go, I was already on an airplane headed back home...

The good news though is that she only lives one state away, instead of 10. 
So, cross your fingers, I'll visit more often.
Anyway, that weekend was amazing, and Danielle was the best hostess, as per usual.
I love you!

No comments: