Thursday, February 23, 2012

Good soup

One of my favorite soups comes from the Olive Garden, and when I received the recipe for Zuppa Toscana at a Relief Society activity night I was thrilled!
Not only does it taste really good, but it's SO easy to make. And since I want all to enjoy, I decided to share :)


Zuppa Toscana- serves 6-8

1 lb. sweet Italian sausage (I really like the bulk sweet sausage at Sprouts)
1 1/2 tsp crushed red peppers (I use less, about 1/2 tsp, and put it on the table if people want to add more later...just depends on how spicy you want it)
1 large yellow onion- diced
2 tsp minced garlic
10 cups water + 5 chicken bouillon cubes OR 10 cups chicken stock
3/4 tsp Italian seasoning (I add less because the sausage already has those seasonings in it)
4 large Russet potatoes- unpeeled and sliced
1/2 bunch of kale (or more)
1 cup heavy cream or half n half
Salt to taste

In a large soup pot brown the sausage with the crushed red pepper, diced onion, and garlic until the onions are translucent. Add water, chicken bouillon, Italian seasoning, and potatoes and cook until the potatoes are soft, usually after about 15 minutes at a simmer. Add kale, broken into bite-sized pieces (I like to only add the leafy parts and remove the stem) and cream and bring back to a simmer, just to warm. Serve and enjoy!

It makes great for leftovers too, so we don't mind the large amount :)

No comments: