Friday, November 9, 2012

get outside!!

Every time I drive home on the 202 E Red Mountain freeway, I pass a certain...hill? 
Wannabe mountain?
Whatever it is, as I pass it I remember "hiking" it while I was in Young Women's...
(...and the reason hiking is in " " is because I don't remember it being very strenuous, but I guess it technically was a hike because we used it to pass off one of our girl's camp requirements.)

ANYWAY...
...I've been wanting to take our family on this hike because I knew it wasn't very long or hard, ideal for carrying a baby, and just enough work to tire out a toddler.

Today turned out to be the perfect day to go.
Jeff just happened to get off work an hour early, giving us that much extra time before sunset.
The weather just happened to be gorgeous, with billowy clouds and a breeze.
And I just happened to have two extra happy children, who were ready for an excursion.

And so, with only a little planning, we all piled into the car and headed over to Microwave Tower at Spook Hill Mountain Preserve.
(and I'm not making this up...I've never heard the name of this place, but that's what Google is calling it...)

I don't understand the whole sock situation...haha!

My boys! ♥

I've finally come to peace with the fact that it's almost impossible to get a family shot where everyone is looking and smiling...so I'll take what I can get :)

We had fun looking at the cars and the airplanes...

The views were beautiful!

We stopped at one point, before reaching the top, and Wyatt had fun running around in the bushes...


We made it to the top!!! It was a very open, flat area, and it was large enough that Wyatt could run around...we had to keep a hold of his hand though, because that kid would try to fly off the mountain if we let him...



We packed a light dinner, and the boys loved it...
(...but when do they not love food?)


One view from the top

More attempts at a family shot...


On our way back down, the sun had already set behind the mountains and Jeff said it looked like Mordor :)

...apparently being held and snuggled the whole time is tiring! I tried to keep him awake by holding him facing out, but even then his head kept bobbing up and down from falling asleep! 
So I gave up.

Jeff and I were really surprised how fun this was, and I think we'll do it again. It's a great way to get outside and be active, especially with the kids...
I can't wait for next time!

No comments: