Monday, July 26, 2010

Biggest SCARE of our lives.

*deep sigh*

I'm still getting over the adrenaline and anxious feelings I was having...

Alright, let me start off by saying EVERYTHING IS OKAY. We had the biggest scare of our lives, but it turned out OKAY. No one was hurt.

So. Let me set the scene: I was upstairs folding laundry, Wyatt was asleep in bed, and Jeff had just come upstairs to change his clothes to go running. We said our goodbyes, and as he's walking down the hallway to the stairs, he whispers, 'Rachael, come here! Do you smell that??' and as I rush over to him I smell the distinct scent of something burning. I can't tell you how instantly terrified I became...in seconds all I was thinking about was how our house was on fire and we NEEDED to find it SOON. We immediately started sniffing around trying to discover the source of the smell. We both quickly turned to Wyatt's room because just last night Jeff had installed a ceiling fan. We opened his door, but it smelled fine...and besides that, his fan was off. We then thought that maybe it was something in the attic. Wyatt's room has an attic access, and Jeff had been investigating the storage space up there that afternoon...maybe he had accidentally disrupted a wire or something?? We were going CRAZY. I was going up and down the stairs sniffing everywhere, but the problem was that where ever I smelled it the worst, there was no cause for a burn, i.e. no outlets nearby, no burnt out lightbulbs, nothing. None of the bedrooms smelled like it, but the hallway and stairs did. We even went outside to see if it was something out there...but no. We were really worried that it was something inside the walls because we couldn't see any smoke and the alarms weren't going off, but it smelled SO STRONG. Just as we were about to call the fire department, we FINALLY found the source...


...and with a HUGE sigh of relief, we realized it was...







...our dishwasher.


Apparently one of the plastic spoons fell from the top rack onto the heating ring on the bottom and completely melted it.

We figured that since all the bedroom/bathroom doors were closed the smell was concentrated in the hallways...the kitchen, weirdly enough, didn't smell as bad?? Well, that was until Jeff opened the dishwasher door...


So, moral of the story: Plastic sucks.

2 comments:

Buck and Whitni Watkins said...

HOLY COW! I definitely know how it feels for your house to catch fire, my parents house did in 1998 right after christmas....SCARY!

Curtis and Dani Welton said...

hahah That's happened to me before, except I could smell where it came from. My mom actually had an electrical fire in her house about 2 weeks ago. Scary stuff!