Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Tide pools

A few of the days, during low tide in the afternoon, we walked over to the tide pools, shown at the very edge of this cliff on the left side...
We took a big group and had fun exploring...I was especially excited because I'd never been to a tide pool before...

This is what the first part looked like...not very appetizing from first glance, but once you looked closer everything seemed to be alive!!
Jeff was fearless and was the first one to jump into the water to find things...there were mussels and barnicle and seaweed everywhere.

...oh, and TONS of sea anemone!

It was shallow water, so we were able to navigate through most of it...my only problem was the seaweed...I was grossed out sometimes, haha!

We found lots of crabs like this one, but also hermit crabs in shells...
...and once we really started looking, we found STARFISH!
Lots of them...

This one was my favorite...Jeff pulled it off it's rock so we could all hold it...

The surrounding rocks were all smooth and oddly shaped from having the water beat against it for so long...


Another starfish...


My camera died about halfway through our adventures, but you got the gist of it :)



1 comment:

Celeste said...

Awesome pictures! I love the beach in California. Sounds like you guys had fun :)