Monday, January 14, 2013

happybirthdaytome

Birthdays.
I think this is the first year I wasn't looking forward to mine...

...not that 25 is old...
...it just means that I'm...older.
 I've reached my mid-twenties.
A quarter of a century.
Halfway to 50.

::gulp::

 Of course, I still had a good time celebrating my birthday, starting on the actual day by going out to dinner with my family and grandparents, who were in town. We visited one of our favorites, Haji Baba's, and then the girls sneaked away for a "quick" visit to Charming Charlies :)

Then, last Saturday, I managed to get the day off from work so that I could spend the whole day doing what I wanted! We first started with breakfast at IHOP (Cracker Barrel wasn't close enough) and then a hike up to the Wind Caves at Usery Pass. 
It was a chilling 36 degrees when we left for our hike, but the sunshine helped warm us up!





A little more than halfway, we stopped to drink some water, eat some snacks, and catch our breath. Logan had already fallen asleep at one point, and Wyatt was begging to be carried every other second. He was actually pretty good for the first little while, but then once we started hitting the steeper climbs and rocky areas, Jeff and I switched off carrying him.

 
He REALLY enjoyed the fruit snacks.
...and throwing them at the birds...
He's just trying to be a good sharer, okay?? haha!

...these aren't the actual wind caves...
...but I guess they'll do for pint-sized bodies, haha!

I'm proud to say we all reached the top, after hiking an 800ft elevation in 1.5 miles...
...we were pretty pooped. 
So we took our time up in the wind caves...
(and sadly, I didn't get a shot of our view, sorry!)


First off, I love that both boys are looking at me like I'm a crazy person in this next picture...
 And secondly...I'm pointing to a bee that Jeff threw on me...
Up at the caves there's a hive, and besides finding a huge web full of bees, Jeff kept finding them on the walls, just stuck, like they were frozen. They weren't "crunchy," which is what I would have normally described a dead bee as...you know, dried up and dead. They were instead, soft and fuzzy and still...pliable?? So I was a little worried that maybe they were hibernating? But I didn't know if bees hibernated on the walls of wind caves, so then I decided they must have died due to the first frost we had just experienced hours before...
...anyway, Jeff had a good time freaking me out in the meantime...

...one lucky, fat spider...
(I counted 17 bees caught in his web)
(and no, I did not go looking for that lucky, fat spider...)

After we were tired of the freezing air in the shadow of the wind caves, we decided we were ready for some more sunshine, and headed back down the mountain.

Jeff, being the crazy person he is, decided to carry both boys...
...ALL the way down.

I don't know how many times I offered to take one of them, but he kept insisting he was okay. I had my suspicions confirmed when he admitted he just wanted to see if he could carry them both on his own, and then tell everyone he could, haha! 
I'm sure every person we passed thought I was some kind of lazy wuss...


Before we reached the bottom, both boys were already mostly asleep, one slumped over in the backpack, and one laying his head down on Daddy's shoulder...

They both woke up though, as soon as we tried to put them in their carseats, stinkers.

We headed home after our hike and prepared for our kid-free evening out...
...in which Jeff took me to Sapporo for Teppanyaki!
 And besides being at a table with six screaming, beiber-crazed, non-stop-talking 12-year-old girls...
...it was amazing.

 So all in all...
...not bad for turning 25!
:)

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I guess i havent really thought about aging on my birthday since i turned 20. Seriously.
My 25th was so fun, it completely blocked that i was half way to 50 :)

love you girl!